May 29, 2024

Spark sets female hostel ablaze at Bayelsa Medical University

A fire that was reportedly triggered by an electrical spark has destroyed personal belongings in some parts of the female hostel of Bayelsa Medical University.

The hostel located along Imgbi Road in Yenagoa caught fire while a student, whose name was anonymously withheld, was ironing her clothes. Upon noticing the spark, she immediately drew the attention of her colleagues and consequentially took on their heels for safety.

The case was reported to the Fire Services department of the university and without any delay, the fire fighters swiftly jumped into action and prevented the fire from spreading to other rooms in the block.

Read Now: COMEG accredits 5 academic programmes at FUTA

The tragic incident neither took any lives nor extended beyond the affected room; as a result, the Vice Chancellor appreciated the fire officers for the good job well done.

“The Vice Chancellor of the Institution, Prof. Ebitimitula Etebu, and the Chief Security Officer, Phillip Diete-Spiff, expressed their appreciation to the fire service officials for their swift response to the emergency,” the statement reads.

It added, “Fortunately, no lives were lost, and no physical injuries were sustained by the students. However, the personal belongings of the affected room’s occupants, including documents and clothes, were destroyed by the fire.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *